Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Oracle SQL Developer UI language and some tips

Welcome to my tech-hut.

I live in Venezuela, so in most places where I work the OS are usually in spanish.  And here comes the thing.  I love SQL Developer.  I’ve been a fan since version 1.5 and some time ago (a lot of time ago, indeed) I switched to a newer version (2.xx) with the (not really good) surprise of the GUI language changed to my locale language.

Well, after some googling I stumbled upon an article where the solution was depicted, easy, beautiful…  Almost wonderful.

All you have to do is look for the configuration file withing $SQLDEV_HOME/IDE, it’s called IDE.conf and add one, or at most, 2 lines.  Mine looks like this:

# For the UI language setting
AddVMOption -Duser.language=en
AddVMOption -Duser.country=US

While connecting with the Oracle Database you can get this error.  If so, make sure to add the following line to the JVM configuration of the client you are using:

AddVMOption -Duser.timezone="-04:30"

That’s it, folks.  Give it a try and leave your comments if you need any further explanations.

No comments:

Post a Comment